Wednesday, March 27, 2013

there is good

I want you all to know that there is good here too.

Yesterday, Kaleigh and I were helping Opondo clean his duty. He is currently in charge of the floors in the little boy's dorm. He left us for a short while. I was wondering where he went. We found him in the hallway near the bathroom. The boys had dumped a ton of water on the ground and made it into their own personal slip and slide. The were stripping down to what they needed and sliding all over the place. It was so much fun to watch.

There was so much pure joy in a little space.
I loved it.

Today I broke out my camera and starting filming things. I want to not loose my love for Kenya. I want to make sure that when I go back to America I will continue to get homesick for this place. I want to film the boys. I sat down 5 of them and interviewed them. As I sat there and asked them questions it was just a firm reminder of how much I freaking love them. They don't speak very good English and my Swahili is not very good either but we understand each other. And so I just sat there and asked them questions. They knew exactly what I was saying and I bet the videos won't make much sense to a lot of people but I also know exactly what they are saying. And I love that.

We have learned how to communicate in a weird Kenyan Butler lingo.


No comments:

Post a Comment