Thursday, March 14, 2013

francis

Francis annoyed the crap out of me the first two years I was here but I think with time we have grown quite fond of each other. Kaleigh says that he get annoying sometimes but I haven't seen that side of him yet this year. 

He is in the middle. 

In the mornings they always get ready for the day in full uniform which includes a sweater. By lunch time it is hot and the sweater is unless. Francis, everyday, takes his sweater and wraps it on his head like a turban until school is finished. I love it. He is the only one that does that. 

Francis has huge burn scars down the right side of his whole body. Because he is growing up so fast... he is growing out of his scars and making them stretch and bleed which creates new scars on his old scars. His burn came from his former life. Most likely someone set him on fire and threw him in the trash to die but someone came along and saved him. As sad as it is, these are normal stories of the boys. 

Last year we super glued his foot to his shoe by accident. He handled that like a champion. He was in my 'family' the first year I was here. I just feel an attachment to him because of that. 

In class he always knows what is going on even though we speak mostly English. Like Gachia when his English fails he will speak to me in the Swahili he knows I understand. If he doesn't know what to say he will say, "Nene? Nene? Nene?" a bunch. That means "What? What? What?" It is his way of thinking out loud. 

And that is Francis. 

1 comment: