Tuesday, March 19, 2013

flip master

Kaleigh tried to surprise me with Oscar coming to the center. I told her I would believe it when I see it due to the fact this was the 3rd time he said he would come. 

The brother kept to his word and was in Thika town the next morning for us to pick him up. We got him, biscuits, yogurt and juice and headed home. 

The boys love and adore Oscar. I tell them everyday that Oscar is a mbaya rafaki (bad friend) but they are just not catching onto the idea. The always get mad and tell me that he is poa rafaki. (good friend) One day they will believe me or just agree with me to give me a confidence boost. 

Oscar just walked in the gate of our compound and the boys were so excited. They surrounded him and started asking him all sorts of questions. They wanted him to start doing flips for them right away. They wanted to know when he was going to come back again. They just wanted to be around him. They love him.

We went into my house and ate yogurt. Kaleigh and Oscar put the new light bulbs up in our house and I went and played with the boys. Earlier that day I dyed the ugi (porridge) to green. I made sure we were there to watch them drink it. I asked Peter what was going on with the ugi. He said, "It looks like sewage!" These boys are so funny. 





After ugi we went to the dorms and put up lights there too. Kaleigh and I bought them. The boys literally only had 3 lights for a dorm that requires 12 or more. The boys cheered and were so excited for every light that went up and worked. I loved it. 



While the lights were being put up by Babu... Oscar and I snuck outside and he finally did his first flip. It left the boys speechless for a half second before they broke out in cries for more and more and more. The boys would do a few flips and then Oscar would do one. The highlight for the boys was when Oscar did 3 back flips right in a row. The boys are still trying to figure out how to do that. 





After mastering the tire and showing all the flips you can do there and Oscar teaching a few new tricks we moved to the stones. Oscar had never done flips off a stone. The boys got to teach him. He was super impressed by their skills and was too scared to do some of the tricks the boys did. 



We got interrupted to help carry in wood into the kitchen. I got the duty of carrying the heaviest logs. Oscar got the duty of chucking the wood into the old fridge and Kaleigh got the duty of loading people up. It took forever but I was happy to help. 

We served lunch. The boys ate. We went to Naivas to get food for lunch. Hamburgers it was. Kaleigh cooked while I played. Toto called me a useless pumpkin after I did a cartwheel. We ate. 

Now it was time for a soccer game. Of course I talked to the boys ahead of time and stacked my team with all the best players because Kaleigh said she got Oscar. My team won even though half of us left early to help serve dinner. 

And that was basically the day. We took Oscar back into Thika and sent the brother on his way home. It was so much fun. The boys need good role models and they just take to Oscar like a bee to honey. 

Everyone loves it when Oscar comes around. The boys continually ask us when he is coming back and are still practicing their triple back flips... which end up to become a triple cartwheel. 

1 comment:

  1. Megan! Your adventure looks like a blast! What a great opportunity! I miss seeing you around on campus!

    XO!

    Alexa (Follow me @ thelundgreens.blogspot.com)

    ReplyDelete