Friday, April 26, 2013

hurt

Kaleigh and I will be walking through town and see a crowd of people circling around something. Being white girls in Kenya it is just a good idea to avoid those gatherings because you never know what is happening. I really try to keep us safe. But you know when it is someone hurt.

This happens all the time. I don't always know how people get hurt but you will come across people sitting on the ground crying their hearts out because they are hurt. The Kenyans will form a circle around this injured person and just stare. No one does anything.

Kaleigh and I come up on this situation all the time. It is always when we are pressed for time or in a rush. Everything in me wants to help them but I am always filled with so much insecurity that out weighs the desire. I worry that they only speak Swahili and I don't know enough. I am worried that I will try to help and just embarrass myself. You know... selfish things.

I do carry around a first aid kit with me. I give out bandaids here and there but that is about it. Towards the end of my time in Kenya all I had was bandaids in my bag because I took out the rest.

The last week we were in Kenya, Kaleigh and I were checking off things we needed to do in town. We swung by our video guy to pick up some music. On the way out of his little shop we witnessed a teenage street kid get hit by a truck. It was insta-craziness. All the street kids were screaming and making noise. The circle of Kenyans was beginning to form. Everyone was just staring... Including me.

He had a huge chunk of flesh missing from his ankle and blood was going everywhere. All I had was bandaids. If I had the rest of my first aid kit there I could have done so much. I was shaking and almost in tears. I have never felt so helpless over a situation I could have helped.

A piki piki driver came by and offered to take him to the hospital. They pile this helpless boy on the back on a motorcycle with 2 other street kids. I gave them 1000 shillings and they were on their way. As they drove the injured kid left a trail of blood on the road.

I never saw that street kid again but I pray that he is okay.

I vow that the next time I am in Kenya and see someone hurt... no matter how busy I am... I will stop and fully help them because I will keep my first aid kit stocked.

I never want to feel the way I felt watching that boy drive away dripping blood on the back of a motorcycle. 

No comments:

Post a Comment