Friday, January 13, 2012

you have ball...

Sometimes I feel like a mama chicken bringing her chicks under her wings. 

Two days ago I turned around in a fabric store in Thika and behind me was little Collins
One of my older boys. 
I was SO excited. 
I got him to come back to the center with me. 
It was my first link back to the other older boys who have left.

Yesterday another one of the older boys named John was visiting and told me that Alex wants me to come see him. 
Alex is one of my most favorite boys. Hands down. 
Within like 2 minutes my bag was packed and we were waiting on the side of the road for a matatu. 
We jumped on the matatu. 
It only went so far. It dropped us off in the middle of freaking no where. 

While in the middle of no where we met some interesting people. 
This one boy in the highest pitched voice ever said, "Hello! How are you?"
When I responded in my normal voice that isn't high pitched, he was stunned. 
Or maybe he was at a loss of words. I have no idea. 

The next choice child I met was another boy who when seeing us asked,
"Mzungo, you have ball?"
"Ummmm.... nope." 
What in the world makes him think that all white people carry around balls?

A matatu saves us from these crazies we met in the middle of no where and takes us to Kopling. 
We get there and walk towards where I think he will be and BOOM...
There Alex is... swag and all. 
I love this kid so much. 
He gives me a hug and then shows me around the campus. 

After the tour he took us to his one room apartment. 
He lives all alone. He says he is fine but he must get lonely. 
All the neighborhood people looked at us like they had never seen a mzungo before.
It is likely. 

Then we started walking to the stage to grab a matatu to go home. 
It was getting dark. 
We convinced him to come back with us. 
We walk in the gate and the boys were screaming his name. 
"Shanagla!" "Shanagla!" "Alex!"
He ate like a king. 
He is such a prince. 

No comments:

Post a Comment