Monday, January 2, 2012

Against the World

I love these boys more than even I know it.
A bunch of them are really sick right now. 
One is terribly sick. 
Today I watched him vomit up everything we tried to feed him way too many times. 
Then as I was trying to help him sit up he made a mess in his pants without even knowing he needed to go to the bathroom. 
After he was all washed up I asked him if he wanted to read a book and he said,
"My hand doesn't want to."
He was far too weak. 

He is one of three brothers that live here. 
This is when his older brother stepped in who is only 13. 
He picked up the book and read it to him in English and then translated it into Swahili. 
He sat by his side all day and night long.  
It was so precious. 
His little brother was right by his side too. 

All I could do was sit there too and rub his back.

I wish these boys had parents.
I wish they had mothers to take care of them. 
Especially when they are sick. 
It is so hard to watch the boys lay in their beds sick and know that no one is going to come and give them the puke bowl, take their temperature, tickle their backs or hold their hand.
It is them against the world and they just have to power through it.

Today I hung out with all the sick boys. 
I gave them medicine.
I read books with them.
I let them eat crackers. (just like mama did for me.)
I rubbed their backs. 
I held their hands as they repeatedly puked. 
Then, I cleaned it up. 

Just one day I want them to know that it is not them against the world. 
It is me plus them against the world.
Hand in hand.

3 comments:

  1. You, me and everyone else behind what your doing. You are amazing Megan. I'm so glad they have you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This made me cry. You are such an inspiration to me. Such a wonderful person. I love you so much and I'm grateful I can read about how you change the world everyday. Keep it up. You are so loved!

    ReplyDelete