Wednesday, April 20, 2016

Day four

I still had to give exams back to the pupils. It was a rush in the morning to get to school before the kids really scattered but we made it in ample time. As soon as we got to school, the kids rushed mom to show her how well they had learned to make the boondoogles. Everyone was proud of their work. I called the grade 8 class in and handed back their papers. Next it was time for grade 9. I am so proud of that class. 98% passed. I handed back their exams too. The head teacher came in as I was just finishing to talk about how these kids are my babies and how far we have come together. I love my grade 9s. After that, I was called to assembly to introduce my visitors to all the pupils. I introduced mom & dad. I introduced my friend Oscar and lastly my dog India. Of course when they were translating into Bemba they said Oscar was my fiance. (This is not an announcement.) The kids cheered. 

After the kids went home, we also made our journey home and swung by the clinic. They were able to see my pupil who got bit by a crocodile earlier that week and all the wonderful staff/volunteers we have. At home dad put new fabric on my couches with the staple gun he brought. Oscar and I took a short snooze. Mom took a long snooze. I made curry for lunch while everyone was busy. 

As soon as we finished eating curry I heard, "Odi?" A pupil's mom had also made us a full Zambian lunch. Oh geeze. She wants to sit and watch us eat it. As the girl in the house, I had to prepare the eating area and get seats for everyone. Of course all Zambian culture went out of my head. I told my parents we were going to eat on the ground. This poor bamaayo was disgusted by me when my dad plopped himself on the ground. "Ba Megan! Bataata balikala panishi? Awe! Balikala pa icipuna!" Quickly I made sure mom and dad both had chairs to sit on and gestured for Oscar to join me on the floor. I was already stuffed. We washed our hands and it was go time. Oscar and I made a silent pact: if he ate all the chicken, I would eat the nshima and veg. Mom and dad have to pull their own weight. This time Oscar looked like he was going to explode. He and dad literally made comments about how they aren't on missions anymore and aren't blessed with stomachs that can continually eat. I kept pounding back the nshima and veg. We ate enough that she was satisfied.

 I am so grateful for her kindness. Stories were shared. We had to hurry to visit another pupil who also probably had food waiting for us. We parted ways with this bamaayo. At least we had a little walk to digest the food we just in took. I warned the pupil before hand that we were already full. I can't torture the parents or Oscar anymore. I make sure that I take my parents through the market to see my people there. Dad was handing out jolly ranchers like hotcakes to the kids. At the Daka's house mom and dad are given chairs, Oscar is given a stool and "Ba Megan, panshi" (The floor). I have been demoted. It is okay. The second dad sits down we hear a noise. Maybe he broke the chair? Nope. Wait. He ripped the back of his trousers! Mom and I are rolling with laughter. If Kaleigh was there, I would have had to step outside. 

The Dakas have 2 boys that I have or do teach. To encourage their English skills I made them translate everything. They were being typically teenage boys distracted by their phones. We talked with their mom. She brought us chikanda (African palony) to eat. Oscar took one bite and looked like he was going to throw up. I had to finish it for him. Too much chicken? Mom and dad downed it like champs. We made conversation and headed back home. Oscar and I went to the school so he could play football. Mom and dad went home. We decided to eat nothing for dinner. When we got home water was going again. We showered. We stayed up and talked a bit about the sisters and how we all fit together. What a weird bunch we are. Oscar shared stories about life. Only one extra bed was made and we crashed.

1 comment:

  1. Sorry for the large picture files. This lace wigs uk is worth the money. In an effort to get the desired ombre effect, I accomplished 3 bleach treatments on this hair. I bleached brazilian hair uk twice with Wella Color Charm Bleach and Wella Level 20 Developer. I also bleached it with Garnier Nutrisse Ultra Color Ultra Platinum with Anti-Brass Conditioner. I used one half bottle of lace wigs uk to remove all other brassy tones. I rinsed the hair and applied Tresemme' Curl Hydration Conditioner. It came out flawless. Unlike previous bleaching, this brazilian hair uk is curly from root to the tip. I actually chopped the length down in the pictures and thinned it out. The length still came to the top of my shoulders. The texture is so soft. I comb the wig out to get a really full look. I spray it down with a mixture of water and a little glycerin to get a tighter curl. You can use heat, but I opted for rollers on hair extensions uk stand for other styles.

    ReplyDelete