Monday, November 1, 2010

The Beach Was How We Coped

This is a blog that has been needed to be written for a very long time but you see, I got really busy with life. 
I will never forgot the call that told me I was I leaving Rexburg for an indefinite amount of time to go back to California to see my uncle for the last time. It was a race against time but time won. I was going home to be with my family in their time of need. 
Who am I kidding? Being in Rexburg away from the family was too hard for me anyways. I was more than willing to make that long journey back. 
The beach was how we coped. Almost every night we made that trek over the Santa Cruz mountains to the sand and fire where everything was peaceful. The adults never came with us. I am pretty sure Zea and I were the oldest ones there. It was always perfect.




The second time we went to the beach we brought the adopted family members. In steps in Charlie and Freddie. We played a game of chicken in the waves. Charlie and I chickened out really quick while the youngins got soaked. I can only handle so much chaffing in jeans. 
The rest of the week was mostly a blur. I don't remember how things happened but they all did and of course I fit in time to take fake engagement pictures. The wake was the hardest part for me. It really finalized everything. The funeral service was really nice. There were so many great things said and it was all true. 
I know that families are forever more than ever before. I know that I have the most awesome family ever. I would not trade this week and a half I had with them for the world. Everything does happen for a reason even when it sucks and is hard. 

Without my family who would play the ridiculous games that I love and pop balloons tied to each other's ankles? I love my family a lot and know that I was born into the right one.


As a family all we have is each other and the beach is how we cope. 
Uncle Zea, I love you more then I ever told you. Thanks for being there moments after I was born. Thanks for letting me be apart of my cousin's life and the people they have become. Thanks for being at my baptism, birthdays and graduation parties. Thanks for all the gifts on Christmas and the fun and pies on Thanksgiving. Thanks for always being a phone call away when I needed you.  Thanks for being the best you could be. You are such a good example. I really miss you a lot. I love you.

No comments:

Post a Comment