Thursday, September 2, 2010

Bishop's Store House

Bailey called me the other night and said she was coming out. Then she called me a few nights prior to her coming out and said that Charlie is coming out too and he wants to volunteer in the Bishop's store house. She asked me if I would like to come and I said, "Heck yes!"

It honestly was so fun. I would do it again in a heart beat! I wish I knew about this place at the beginning of the 7 week break because I would have been there every second it was open. 

We got there just in time for lunch but of course they made us work for our food. We put 4 boxes of oranges into 2 pound bags and then got into the lunch line. Lunch was a Sunday dinner complete with roast beef, mashed potatoes and veggies.
After lunch with no hesitation they threw us in the freezer. We were thinking that it was going to be like 30 degrees in there or something, you know just below freezing... try negative 10! It was so cold. We had to jump around and pull some Richard Simmons moves to stay warm. 
We got our freezer tasks done after getting a little frost bite on my bare toes. They sent us back to our first station except this time it was for apples and corn. We bagged about 4 to 6 boxes of apples and shucked 3 boxes of corn. Never have I seen corn like this. You know that hairy stuff that comes out of the top of corn? Well just imagine it half a foot long and black. So sick. (No worries, we cut it off.) After the corn, we did some more apples and went home. 
Everyone there was so sad to see us go. It is sounding like Charlie, Bailey and Kaleigh are returning next week but I will have to find one in Rexburg if I want to go. 

If you live in the greater San Jose area, you should totally go to the store house. It is so much fun and you can just walk in and help. I would even suggest it as a mutual activity or for activity days. 

No comments:

Post a Comment