Friday, November 6, 2015

to the man


To the man who:

 I now call Bashikulu
 taught me that it is okay to fall in love with the people you serve overseas. 
when babysitting told me to wait for grandma to come back when I was describing that my lady parts were hurting as a pre-teen. 
made the world's best gravy every Sunday after church. 
popularized suspenders and made them look cool. 
loved my Grandma unconditionally. 
gave me the gift of the Holy Ghost at age 8.
answered the phone at 3:30 am "Good Morning!" when I called after Erina broke my mom's water and left us at the house.
climbed into the attic whenever was hollered at to pull down the hundreds of nativity scenes.
taught everyone all about Idaho farm life.
devoured peanut butter, chocolate covered cherries, honey and peanuts like it was his job. 
told countless stories. 
when laughing would have to stop because he would get into a coughing fit but still continued to laugh.
happily received a circumcision knife from Kenya as a gift and showed anyone who came over.  
honored his priesthood. 
always had an open lap to sit on.  
openly declared that you have to let an island princess live near the water. 
had the thinnest skin that would always randomly bleed on his arms. "What's that grandpa?" "Oh, just another bleeder." 
got countless speeding tickets in the middle of Nevada road tripping to Utah.
put his hands on my head to bless me the night before I left for Peace Corps Zambia.
sent me a WhatApp video just a week ago. 

I miss you. 
I love you.
See you again in heaven. 

No comments:

Post a Comment