Friday, March 21, 2014

trying to fit in

This trip to Kenya is not like my normal pop by. The orphanage we were going to stay at refused to let us come. Luckily another orphanage in Nairobi was welcoming. 


Here there are just over 30 kids. It is a mixture of boys and girls but definitely more girls. Our house is large and spacious. We have rooms that we do nothing with except maybe hang our delicates to dry after we wash them or let my dirty clothes pile up. We got here and in the house we only had bunk beds, mattresses and blankets. 

Perfect. Sleeping is covered. 

Nothing a quick trip to the supermarket could not take care of. 
Now that we have been here for a week, it is almost like we live here. 

The locals are getting more used to us. (Or not. We still get called all sorts of tribal names and the famous, mzungu.)

Here in Kayole it is a constant battle to find out where I fit in. In Thika we had made our mark. Everything seemed to flow. Now it is back to the square one. 

It was a new adventure to get my phone to work and new internet. It was an adventure to find a bank. Every time we need to get new food from the shop it is an adventure. Nothing is what we are used to. There is no flow and independence seems to be slightly taken away. 


As time passes it will get better. Things will also flow here in Kayole. But for now there is a lot of texting, calling, asking Oscar for help. Bless his soul. 

The kids are also at school all morning until like 4 or 5 in the afternoon sometimes. So Kaleigh and I have a lot of down time. I read, The Kite Runner, in 3 days. It was seriously so good. I highly suggest it. 

Also a perk about living with girls: they can braid hair! Guess who got lines in their hair last night? That's right. This sister right here. 


And I didn't end up going to Uganda that first week. I came to Kenya and realized I was needed somewhere else. 

So, kwaheri from Kenya for now.

1 comment:

  1. I totally understand how you feel. We went through a HUGE adjustment when we moved from Mexico to Guatemala... and I'm pretty sure everyone still looks at us as though we are strange. Our little indigenous village doesn't know what to do with us yet. :)

    Love hearing your updates. Keep 'em coming!

    ReplyDelete