Thursday, June 16, 2011

AIDS

I know that AIDS is real. 
I know that it kills. 

I had no idea what it did to a person until I went to Kenya. 
When I got there I just found out the textbook stuff. 
I learned that it shuts down the immune system until your body cannot fight anything. 
Then eventually it kills you. 

I never saw anyone in Kenya with AIDS.
Everyone told me, "You will know someone has AIDS because you can see it."
I never saw anything out of the ordinary. 
I never saw AIDS, 

Or I thought. 

On the left of this picture is a boy nicknamed Boss.
 I lived with him at the center. 

Boss just recently was told he has AIDS. 
It is very prevalent in his body and it is taking over. 

I was there when they pulled him out of school because he was "sick." 
The boys and staff just told me that he had rashes all over his body. 
I saw them. 
I believed them.
They were just protecting me. 

Never in my life did I think I would even see someone with AIDS.

No comments:

Post a Comment