Sunday, January 30, 2011

Don't Read This If You Can't Handle Having Your Heart Broken

For a few weeks now we have been having educator meetings. Since we all teach at least one class a day we get the honor of going to this annoying long meeting. 

Once a month we have a workshop for the kids on random topics. 

All the teachers said basically in unison: 
Sexuality

What the crap? 
I just thought that maybe the boys were curious with each other and maybe just played with each other's ding-a-lings and that was that. I mean how bad could this really be?

A week passes and we are informed that they are going to have a retouch workshop on sexuality in March or something. We haven't even had the first and they are planning a second.

What is going on?

The workshop goes on. Allynne and I do not attend because right after the workshop we have to teach first aid. No joke... me teaching first aid. There was a lot of preparing for that.

The first aid goes great. Everything seems peachy until Rhianna tells us about her experience in the sexuality workshop.

Breaks my heart.

Basically, the teachers in the kindest and least awkward way possible had to address the issue of some of the middle age and older boys going into the little boy's bed at night and molesting them.

Wow.
I just kissed those boys goodnight last night and then they went out and molested another child. 
That is so nasty. 

I would have never guessed. Now I thinking that they need to have a workshop on this everyday, every week, and every month. The teachers really taught the kids well and addressed the problem with good tactics. 

It is just kind of one of those things were my mind has been blown. I would have never thought or guessed but now that I know, all the dots are connecting. 

I still love it here and I am so thankful I am here. 
Friday was just a huge eye opener. 

No comments:

Post a Comment