Sunday, January 30, 2011

Answers to Soul Sista Sim's Questions

Culture: I am seriously one of the ten token white people who live in the town of Thika. People always stare at me and say "How are you?" A lot of people want to touch my hair and skin. I swear they think that it is magic or something. You know how a lot of black people in the states use the saying, "it is because I am black." Well, a lot of things happen to me because I am white. Everyone thinks that I am super rich. Everyone thinks I know all about politics. (uhhh no) The kids are beat in class with wood sticks for silly dumb things. Water comes and goes. Man is a lot more important then woman. They burn their garbage, there is no waste system. Everything is slower... no one comes on time. Two highway lanes become 7. There are no speed limits. No one really has cars. Everyone uses public transport. 


Free time: I write in my journal. I like to help in the kitchen with dishes, cutting veggies and making ugali. We have to hand wash all our clothes and so that is done in the free time too. A lot of it is just playing with the kids when they are out of class. When they are in class we play card games with Clinton and Stephen in the kitchen. We also take cold showers when we have free time. Make plans for world domination. Just the reg. haha. 


What does everyone want to know about me: What the heck is on my teeth. Everyone thinks I have health problems or that they are falling out. haha. Then they found out it is a beautification thing and they are so surprised that someone would speed money on these things. They want to know about what I am studying. Then when I say recreation everyone is so confused. Everyone wants to know about Obama and if I live next to a famous person. We get asked a lot about what is our main food in America. (The main food is masa in Kenya) I have no idea the answer to that question. I just tell them we eat everything and lots of it. 


As for Missionary Experiences: I don't really just go out and preach the good word. Haha. I talk a lot about with the other volunteers here in Kenya. They all know I am Mormon and most of them have not met any Mormons in their lives. They just have a lot of questions. As for the Kenyans, I don't think any of them know I am Mormon. I have been to church twice. The second time I went they called me up to bare my testimony. I was the only white person there except the missionary from Utah.  


Keep the questions coming. I love you girly. 

No comments:

Post a Comment