Friday, February 13, 2015

early morning yoga

It is safe to assume that I am not doing yoga but my friend Sam is right now in the insaka and killing it. Relaxation to the fullest.

My friend Lea is having a Valentine's party and thus there are 8 white people gathered in this small Zambian village. I don't think the villagers have ever seen such an epidemic.

It is so nice to be with other volunteers. It is a spirit booster. We all go through very similar and different struggles. Just laughing it out with someone is awesome. My friend Graham described the experience well. He said everyday is reverse National Geographic. People sit and stare at us when we do the most mundane tasks: sitting outside, washing dishes, walking, etc. It is like we are the animals at the game park. Somedays it is whatever and somedays it sucks.

Yesterday while traveling here we used a taxi from the boma. The taxi didn't know how to get to Lea's place exactly and so we got dropped in the bush at someone random's house. A man getting high we have never met picked up our 30 bananas and showed us down some overgrown bush paths to Lea's place. As we were reflecting on this while walking... When did this become normal and stopped phasing any of us?

Zambia. Goodness.

On a different note: I love my pupils. I hated making those valentines for them. It was awful. On the flip side... I have never seen people so grateful. It felt like every single one wanted to thank me personally. It was so worth it. I love my 90 babies.

That is all for this random blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment