Saturday, August 2, 2014

Mikunku Village

This will be the 4th time I have tried to write and post this blog. Luckily, I have smartened up and I am first writing it in my notes so I do not lose everything once more. 

Long story short: I am going to live in Mikunku Village in Central Province. The closest BOMA is Mkushi and I am going to be a second generation volunteer. 

We found out our sites through a balloon popping activity. We got separated by language. Our sites were inside the balloons on a small piece of paper. We had to pop a balloon and then find who had our paper. It was super fun.





I have been to Mikunku now. My hut is super duper spacious compared to the average PCV abode. I have 4 rooms. Currently, the last volunteer set up the rooms as a living room, bedroom, kitchen and a walk in closet. I am thinking about switching that up maybe but for now it is so wonderful.





The village I will live in has 2000ish people. The school is over crowded. I will teach grade 8 and have close to 80ish pupils. I can't even fathom to tell you how much I love them all. This is so cheesey but I walked into the class and my heart was so full. They cheered when I went into the classroom. The previous volunteer, Kara, made it very easy for me to come into this village because of all the good she did. 

I met a lot of people. I was introduced to Bacilolo (the chief advisor), all the students and staff at the school, villagers, the clinic, shop keepers and so much more. It was awesome to talk to everyone and get a feel of what is needed in the area. I feel like I have a hefty laundry list of things that I can possibly do. I am so excited there is so much to do to keep me busy. Ex: building a library, woman literacy, planting flowers, helping at the clinic, etc. 

Basically, if you are planning to come visit... I will keep you very busy. 

I feel like I live in a mansion in the sky. My village is wonderful. My new host family seems incredible. The volunteer before me set me up for success. I feel so super blessed. 

On another note: this area I have been assigned to is exactly where I have been praying to go. I will only be about 2 hours away from Kabwe. That is the town they are making a new branch. Only 2 hours away when I could be days away. That is incredible. 

2 comments:

  1. It sounds wonderful. So happy for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds absolutely amazing. I am jealous of all your PC adventures. PLEASE keep the blog posts coming!

    ReplyDelete