Saturday, July 5, 2014

brain farts

Today we had our first language simulation. It depended on your language for what you did.

I will speak solely for my Bemba experience. There were 3 different rooms. I started out my group in the room about commands, random everyday objects and being able to describe someone. I did it all fine except when I got asked, "Multia shani toilet wa ici Bemba?" I blanked on how to say toilet! I use that word a thousand times a day. I racked my brain. Don't worry after like 30 seconds of pure struggle... I think it came out of my lips.

Room one: finished.
On to the next.

It felt like a series of embarrassing brain farts after that. I know the stuff they asked me. I study it for hours everyday but all the sudden I could barely remember my name. And that is how most of the last two interviews went. Oh well.

Here is the thing... my language teacher can vouche for me. He knows that I know.

So, it didn't go the best but in the long run, it doesn't really matter. I will get posted. I will continue to learn Bemba. It was just to see where I am at. Obviously, I am a nervous Bemba speaker. This is nothing a little time and more attention can't cure.

1 comment:

  1. I know you can do this. It will only get easier because you have crossed the first hurdle. It sounds like you are enjoying this v

    ReplyDelete